Friday 3 April 2009

Coming Home




Thornton Reservoir is a small reservoir situated in the National Forest near the village of Thornton in Leicestershire. It has a surface area of 75 acres (300,000 m2) and a perimeter of 2.75 miles (4.43 km). It was originally built in 1854 when it had its own treatment works which were situated to the south of the current dam. It is now owned by Severn Trent and the water is treated a few miles away at Cropston Reservoir to which it runs via Rothley Brook. The reservoir is fed by two small streams which enter from the north via two weirs. Rothley Brook takes water away from the south.
Since 1997 the reservoir and the surrounding land has been open to the public. Facilities include a small visitor centre, a sculpture trail, a woodland walk and a game fishery. Within the visitor centre is a small cafe and a bait shop which opens at 7.30am daily. Boats can be hired from 8.30am and the most common species of fish are trout. The National Cycle Network also runs around the reservoir.

I owe a debt of gratitude to Thornton Reservoir. I have found peace and joy here over many years. The 'res' has seen my personal changes and shared my moods, my successes and my failures, my happiness and my regrets. The only way I can begin to repay the debt is to photograph and write about this place and the joys it continues to hold for me. The reservoir, it's flora and fauna and the weather were central to those special times I spent with my family and friends and especially my children as they grew and flourished.

There will be regular updates to this blog and my aim is to record the seasons, the wildlife and the many moods that Thornton Reservoir offers. It is a manmade place and one to be enjoyed.

4 comments:

  1. I think after a while it will become a friend to many, as we see the changing seasons unfold through your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Martin, thanks for visiting and leaving the first comment. I hope you and others do find something of interest here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think growing up in Thornton meant that I sometimes took the res for granted, but some of my earliest and happiest memories are centred around it.

    Having moved away from Thornton now I have come to realise just how much I miss having it so close by - and how fortunate I was to have such a beautiful place right on my doorstep.

    Having said that, the res is also responsible for my loathing of frogs and townies who think driving their 4x4 up to the water's edge means they have spent a day getting closer to nature.

    Here's to Thornton Reservoir!

    ReplyDelete